Harvest of the Month Archives

HARVEST OF THE MONTH (SEPTEMBER 2016 – MAY 2017)

May 2017:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer Lesson

April 2017:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer Lesson

March 2017:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

February 2017:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

8-5x11-poster-dec-spinach 8-5x11-poster-nov-sweet-peppers

December 2016:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

November 2016:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

8-5x11-poster-oct-green-beans 8-5x11-poster-sep-peaches

October 2016:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer  | Lesson

 September 2016:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson


HARVEST OF THE MONTH (SEPTEMBER 2015 – MAY 2016)

8-5x11-poster-may-carrot 8-5x11-poster-apr-turnips_

May 2016:  Multicolored Carrots

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

April 2016:  Salad Turnips

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack FlyerLesson

8-5x11-poster-mar-mixed-lettuces_final_ 8-5x11-poster-feb-cabbage

March 2016:  Mixed Lettuce

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

February 2016:  Cabbage

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

8-5x11-poster-dec-broccoli 8-5x11-poster-nov-asian-pear

December 2015:  Broccoli

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

November 2015:  Asian Pear

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

8-5x11-poster-september-cherry-tomato 8-5x11-poster_blackberries

October 2015:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

 September 2015:

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson


 HARVEST OF THE MONTH (JANUARY 2015 – JUNE 2015)

 8-5x11-poster-may-sugar-snap-pea1  8-5x11-poster-june-strawberry

June 2015:  Sugar Snap Peas

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

 May 2015:  Strawberries

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

 8-5x11-poster-april-asparagus  8-5x11-poster-march-radish-final

 April 2015:  Asparagus

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

 March 2015:  Radish

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

8-5x11-poster-february-kale csg-hom-jan15-poster-8-5x11-final

February 2015:  Kale

Blog | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

 January 2015:  Pink Lady Apples

Blog  | Newsletter

Backpack Flyer | Lesson

EVALUATION RESULTS

During the January 2015 – June 2015 Harvest of the Month pilot project we tracked the following outputs and results:

  • Delivered 13,948 fresh, local snacks to all 2,150 Charlottesville City School elementary students
  • Sourced 1,330 lbs of fresh snacks (most local)
  • Engaged 127 teachers in 30 new lessons
  • Sent 6 educational brochures home and nearly 7,000 e-news letters to families that included nutrition, cooking and growing information on the crop
  • Partnered with over 10 organizations and businesses to make it happen
  • Worked with 72 volunteers for delivery and lessons

The evaluation conducted demonstrated the following core statistical results:

  • When asked how they felt about their schoolyard garden, 99% of students expressed only positive feelings. The other 1% , said it was hot or dirty.
  • 90% of students said the garden is the best part of their school day.
  • Students demonstrated significant increase in knowledge regarding all of the HoM pilot crops.
  • Students demonstrated increased preference for all HoM pilot crops and a significant increase for kale, asparagus, radish and sugar snap peas.

95% of elementary school students who tried a new Harvest of the Month crop for the first time, said that they would like to have it again.” – February CSG HoM Evaluation results

“What a fantastic project Harvest of the Month is for Charlottesville students and staff AND parents! It’s made a difference in what my child wants to eat.” –Parent, Venable Elementary

“Are those for me? I can’t wait! Can I have two?” – 2nd grader, during Harvest of the Month Delivery